The 2009 Annual General Meeting of the Guild was held on Saturday 21st November in the City of London. We are very grateful to Heather Forster for arranging the venue.
The day began with a successful quarter appeal attempt on the eight of St Leonard, Shoreditch. A Quarter of 1250 Cambridge Surprise Major was rung.
The afternoon started at one of our old favourites, the 10 of St Clement Danes, in the Strand. This was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1682 after the Great Fire of London but was then burnt to a shell during the Blitz and the RAF paid for its beautiful restoration.
Our next stop was St Magnus the Martyr, London Bridge. This was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1667 and in March 2009 a new ring of 12 bells was installed. This was therefore a new tower for the majority of members although it is Heather’s normal tower for Sunday ringing.
We were able to walk to our final tower of the afternoon, that of St Lawrence, Jewry. These 8 bells were installed in 1971/72 and in 2004 the interior of the church was restored to one of the most complex and sumptuous of Hawksmoor’s interiors in London.
The method of the day was Cambridge but throughout the day a range of methods was rung.
Some members departed at this stage, but 26 six of us crossed the river in the wind and rain to take refuge in The Anchor, Bankside where we had a very enjoyable meal. This was followed by the Annual General Meeting. The meeting closed at 9pm in the customary manner with hand bell ringing.