The 2010 Annual General Meeting of the Guild of Medical Ringers was held on Saturday 20th November in Westminster, the venue having been kindly organised by Richard Morgan.
The morning began at St Giles in the Field, Holborn with a successful quarter peal of Cambridge Surprise Major. There was then time for some light refreshment before the band was joined by reinforcements for the aftertnoons ringing.
The first tower was the 8 of All Saints, Chelsea. The tower here was badly damaged in the Blitz and the ring was installed in 1977 by the Whitechapel Foundry.
The next stop was the 10 of St Margaret, Westminster Abbey which is situated in the grounds of Westminster Abbey on Parliament Square, and is the parish church of the House of Commons. It was founded in the 12th Century and became the parish church for the Palace of Westminster on 1614. This proved a very popular tower for Guild members with 36 attending. We were a little later than expected gaining entry but that gave time to gaze of the ocean of remembrance crosses in the Abbey Grounds.
The last tower was the 8 of St Saviour, Pimlico and this is an Anglo-Catholic church constructed in 1860 and designed in a gothic style.
Some members left us at this time but the rest of us gathered for our dinner and AGM at The Barley Mow, Horseferry Road at 18.30. Downstairs was swarming with people but we were very fortunately to have a private room upstairs. Thirty 33 of us sat to a very enjoyable dinner and the staff looked after us very well, meal choices having been pre-ordered.